Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Black & White Wednesday ~ This Year's Word





{On January 2nd of this year I wrote...}

I have tried, for days to UN-choose the word TREE as my word of the year.
Alas.
It seems that TREE has chosen me.
I can't get enough of them. Of looking at them. Wondering about them. Marveling. I love this time of year when the branches are bare. When I can see the outstretched limbs...the strength of the trunk. The delicate, intricate, interdependent branches. It is in this state that a tree seems most alive to me. Like it's doing all it's hard work now. Quietly. Underground, behind the scenes....because that's just what it does.

Yes, TREE has chosen me.
It's not a very active word. I kept thinking I could go with something like "rooted" or "branch out" or "reach" ... but none of those words said it all. 

I want to learn from the TREES
I want to nourish my roots. Nourish the deepest, most essential parts of myself.
Spiritually, emotionally and physically.
I want to go out on some limbs.
I want to bloom where I'm planted.
I want to weather the seasons. 
I want to provide a nesting place for those I love.
I want to bend without breaking.
I want to learn from the TREES.

As this year draws to a close, and the trees are, yet again, beautifully exposed....I have a full heart. I don't think I've ever looked back at something I wrote at the beginning of a year and felt that every word of it was fulfilled in the year that transpired. I'm astounded. It's as if I wrote the words as the year ended to describe the year that was. There has been nourishment - deep and new and oh-so-good! The limbs looked more like really tall rocks...but challenge myself, I did. Seasons have been weathered...though none were harsh, no winds bent me to near breaking. I continue to love our home and the family we've built is a haven. I'm at peace with where I'm planted, and look forward to more blooming and limb climbing as the new year dawns!

Of all the lessons I gleaned from paying attention to the trees this year, I most enjoyed watching how their differences work together to create the beautiful scenery we cherish. Each tree budding, blooming and changing color at their own pace....no comparing to the tree next to themselves. No hurrying up or keeping up. With all the different kinds of trees, there is no discord or competition. Instead, each does their part, and the natural harmony colors our world. Patience, acceptance and playing our part....these are virtues to which we can all aspire!

"I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."
Joyce Kilmer, 1914


Stay tuned...working on choosing a word for 2015. How about you?


My Memory Art
Join us and share your black & white photos!
I'm also linking up with
and


20 comments:

  1. What wonderful true words!
    I hasn't chosen a word for the year, but trees are always my best friends, in my whole life, since earliest childhood. I know any trees since 50 years and I saw any died in this time - they die so slowly...
    I speak with them often.
    Here are pictures (only not in B&W) of trees, familiar with me
    http://maschas-buch.blogspot.de/2014/12/friday-five-and-solstice.html

    Happy Lucky New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jes, i also like the trees, they are my friends :-)
    Wonderfull pictures indeed !
    I wish you a Happy New Year !
    ♥ly greetings from Germany
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great thoughts at the start of 2014 and so happy you have fulfilled them. Good luck choosing an inspiring word for 2015. Happy NY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracious, I read the portion of the post you wrote at the beginning of the year and honestly felt it current - a most app reference to your year. You have found such peace among the trees, escaping to wander among them when your spirit was running low. "Tree", an unexpected choice of word, but one that most definitely has been, and continues to be your calling.

    I have enjoyed the year selfishly consuming your words of wisdom and creative embellishment with photography and look forward to 2015.

    Happy New Year Adrienne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not the deep, intended writer that you are but I SO enjoy hanging on to your every word!!!

    you write so beautifully, with so much purpose. I do believe you found yourself in 2014. 2015 is going to be awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this word. I love how God provides us with the metaphor of trees. The Bible speaks of them in very much the same way you do. I know this is the perfect word for you and pray that you feel the depths of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked trees but thanks to you I have a renewed and even greater appreciation for them.

    2014 prepared you for a wonderful 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic - both what you wrote at the beginning of the year and what you wrote at the end. What beautiful lessons you can learn from a tree...

    No word has yet grabbed me for 2015. Usually I have a sense of the word by November, but not this year. Maybe I need a year of the tree : )

    So glad to have found you in 2014. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very happy, healthy and loving New Year to you my friend. Your words and photos are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You lived this word through and through. Amazing pictures and hers to an amazing new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tree was such a great word. So many great things about trees, and each one I see has a completely different personality than the next. I had the privilege of touching a 600 year old tree, and yes I could feel it's spirit and energy. I'm still tossing around words, this one not coming as readily as the ones in the past. I'm waiting patiently...

    Have a wonderful New Year Adrienne!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for hosting and have a fulfilling 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A word for the year... I never thought about it! Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that poem! I can remember my grandpa reciting that one to me.

    A word seems to be choosing me, too, though I'm not certain just yet.

    Happy 2015 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My word for the year at this very moment is cancer. So I am just not going to choose a word at all, and try to have all the positive words instead.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't do a 'pick a word' thing as a general rule but if I did the first one the springs to mind is 'More' more of life, more of last year, more time, more photography, more writing, more traveling... the list is endless

    mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see a lot of people choosing words this year.. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I would forget my word less then half way in...soooo I best not commit myself. Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't say I pick a word or make resolutions, I just hope to live the year the best I can.
    Lovely photo and words.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully said. I was entranced by your words and how the word chose YOU. May 2015 be a wonderful year for you! Visiting here from MakaKat's Losin' It!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what word you came up with this year!

    ReplyDelete