Tuesday, December 15, 2015

O Christmas Tree....

Here's the story of my Christmas tree.
Settle in.
It's a good one!

Several years ago, when my daughter got married,
she wanted all the ornaments we had given her growing up.
So, of course, we gave them to her...and I boxed up her brother's ornaments
so they'd be ready for him if he wanted them some day.

Since then I've been at a bit of a loss.
Changing my tree from year to year,
trying to find a new theme that fits us.
Something that we can treasure,
that will be worthy of sharing our holiday for years to come.

I'm proud to introduce our 'forever' tree.

 It all started with this ornament, 31 Christmases ago.
The love birds.
This ornament adorned our first tree,
and since then our children have watched us exchange a little smooch 
each year as we hang it amidst the lights.

 And here we are today.
Settled happily atop the tree,
with our empty nest perched behind us,
we're looking out over the times and places that have built our life together.

 He's from Oregon.
Oregon feels like home and summers and family.

 I'm from Philadelphia.
There I find my roots, history, childhood and family memories.

 Then there's our beloved Paris.
The city of their childhood.

And Boston...the city we now call home.
We do love this town!

 This tree holds photo memories.
Some from the Christmas mornings we shared.

 And many from the Christmas eve readings of 'Twas the Night...

 I've collected ornaments from almost all of the places we've travelled through the years.
Whether it was an African Safari, a week in Florida or a weekend in New Hampshire,
I'm building a collection of our travels.
And, may I just say, it has brought me so much joy!!
I love the ornaments I've found
{I mean did you see those Santa's dressed up as Paris and Philadelphia? Well, I have eight of them!}
And I am loving this trip down memory lane!

Ever since we had the privilege to live over seas for more than a decade,
I have considered myself a citizen of the world.
So, right next to the love birds at the top of the tree is this globe.
And those three simple words,
"Peace on Earth"
...well this is our wish.
At Christmas and all throughout the year.




Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree,
Such pleasure do you bring me!
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree,
Such pleasure do you bring me!

For every year this Christmas tree,
Brings to us such joy and glee.
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree,
Such pleasure do you bring me!

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree,
You'll ever be unchanging!
A symbol of goodwill and love
You'll ever be unchanging




Sharing this story with
KathyKim and the ladies from Communal Global

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely tree and beautiful meaningful ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful ornaments...I love how you have sentimental ornaments that you can add to each year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun...our tree has a similar story, yet is also still fully adorned with the kids ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't imagine parting with all the boys ornaments....but i won't have to worry about that as they don't want them. BOYS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Christmas tree is covered with ornaments that represent memories family, friends and trips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to reinvent your 'family' tree by celebrating the locations that have been host to your memories. I may have to borrow your tree idea one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post makes me so happy :). Love the story behind the tree. But WHERE did you get the Philly Santa? I have three trees, and one of them is filled with Santas. And ya KNOW I want a Philly Santa fer sure! :) Thanks for sharing at Song-ography!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful idea. And how happy your daughter must be with A memory tree of her own

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a nice story. Christmas ornaments are like a photo album...a whole life there. It was a joy to just scroll from one to the next. Have a happy week in front of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea! We will be in the same position one day as we have bought an ornament for each kid yearly so that they will have ornaments to take with them. We are starting to forget which belongs to whom. Need to start cataloging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your santa ornaments and the Portland one is pretty cool too! Love Portland! I went to school there at PSU for 4 years!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Christmas tree! I also have a memory tree. Putting on the ornaments each year is a special time of remembering family and blessings!

    ReplyDelete